Monday, September 22, 2008

I DID IT....26.2 MILES!!!

On Saturday, Shera and I ran in the "Top of Utah" marathon in Logan. We had been training for this marathon since last March and I am so excited that we were able to finish. It was quite the race. We woke up at 4:00 a.m. and had to be to the buses by 5. Then the marathon coordinators bussed us up to Hardware Ranch canyon. We arrived just after 6:00 and started to prepare for the race. It had sprinkled a little on the way up the canyon but luckily we were saved from the rain, it was really cold that morning. Now comes the crazy part. I had to pump behind the port-a-potties before the race started. (Layla is nine months and refuses a bottle so this was my only option. By the time the race was over, six hours later, I thought I was going to pop.) Anyway, the race was about to start so we made our way down the road to the starting line where thousands, truly, of people were already waiting. It was so cool to see all of the different types and ages of people. The guns went off and we waited for the people in front of us to begin. I was so nervous that I gave myself a stomach ache and it didn't go away until after the second mile marker. It was about that time that we saw a man kneeling down on the side of the road bleeding from his nose with EMT's at his side. (Come to find out, he tripped and face-planted into the pavement but decided that he wasn't going to quit and eventually passed us with bandages covering his head. It was his 200 and something marathon. Crazy, I know). Then we saw a grandma, probably early 70's, running in front of us and after we passed her, Shera said something about "for our own pride I hope we finish before her". Unfortunately, grandma beat us. But we met some really cool people running that cheered us on and we cheer for them as well. My personal favorite was the man in the kilt and a husband and wife team. You could tell this was her first time and he was just there for support because he was eating donuts while running and giving her advise. We ran 15 miles down the canyon before we were able to see our families. I wanted to cry when I saw John, the kids, my parents, and all my sisters all there cheering me on. It was around mile 16 that I hit a wall. My knees were giving out on me and poor Shera was so sick to her stomach. (It was her worst run; she was cramping from mile 2 until the finish line and her hip was really bothering her as well.) I really started to have my doubts about being able to finish until my sister Kami jumped in the race and ran with us from mile 18 to 19. Then my sister Tresha ran from 19 to 20 and from there on, both Kami and Tresha ran with us until close to the finish line. They each ran about 7 miles and were only planning on 1 to 2 miles. But they talked us through the pains and kept our minds focused. Around mile 22, we ran passed a house that was blasting the song, "The final countdown", and Kami sang for us. Poor Tresha wore my old running shoes that were too little and she ended up with a big blister on her ankle, but never said a word until after the marathon. My dad and mom met me at every mile and cheered me on. My sister Julie helped John with the kids; driving them from mile marker to mile marker and changing dirty diapers. (I really owe you one for Layla's blow-out). Then at mile 25, Julie told John she would take the kids to the finish line so John could run with me. John and I finished the race TOGETHER! My end time was 05:47:14. I don't think my family knows how much I appreciate them being there or how much they helped me through the race. (On a side note, the guy who finished the race first came in at a time of 02:22:57. Shera's dad also ran and ended with a time of 04:15:19). Shera and I weren't racing for time but we had to finish before 6 hours. AND WE DID!!! I am so proud of us. Back in March when we decided to train, we had both just had our second baby. It's been quite the journey. You'll have to go to her blog to hear all about our crazy cat story. Also back in March I asked John if he would help me with the marathon. Some nights he would come home from work and I would literally throw the kids on him and go running for hours. He has been so supportive with all my crazy ideas and I love him, which makes me wonder why I don't have more pics of him and I on the blog. He really is the best husband and dad. Well, there's my novel. I can now check a marathon off my top ten list. Shera we rock!
I'm waiting for my marathon pics to be developed so stay tuned....

11 comments:

Shera said...

Love it! You remembered all of the good stories!! We are so awesome!

Unknown said...

Isn't it such a rush at the starting line...I really wish I was running the St. George again(something I never thought I would ever say) It's like child birth..you forget so much that by the time it rolls around again and you remember its too late:) Congrats on finishing that is such a huge accomplishment..maybe we can run one together someday--I have heard that Logan is one of the prettiest marathons in Utah.

Aubrie said...

hahahaha---that dang Matt, he always logs in when I'm not looking:)

Becca said...

I thought about you the whole day Sat and wished I could have been there to cheer you on! The next marathon you decide to do I will do it with you and you can help me through it! I am SOO proud of you Deidre, that's some tough shiz...very hardcore! I am running the halfer in St. George in November with friends if you want to join, that'll be a breeze compared to that marathon! Can't wait to see pics :) Strong work!

WESTWOOD'S said...

You're awesome. I would love to try one, but I can barely do a 5K. We'll see maybe one day. Congrats!!

Heidi said...

That it awesome...way to go!! It sounds like you had great support. I can't even imagine running 26.2 miles strong work. I thought I was doing good for riding my bike... (ha ha). Do you plan to do more?

Shadoe said...

Deidre-

Hey this is Shadoe from High School. I just found your blog and thought I would leave ya a comment. Congrats on the marathon. I sat and read your blog while eating a scoop of butterfinger ice cream. I quickly sat it down after reading. Your family is so cute. My blog is private but if you want email me at shadoe.w@gmail.com and I will invite. It is great lookimg in you and your family.

April Leydsman Mason said...

You are amazing. I just dream of doing a marathon one of these days but I doubt it will happen. I can barely run 5 miles before I hit the "wall". I'm super proud of you and you gave me a little motivation to try it out one of these years.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

SO SO SO COOL!! I'm teared up reading about all the support!! HOW AMAZING...great job!
-CJ CARTER

Diana & CJ said...

So cool. You go Girl!

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

Are you kiddin' me!? Seriously, I am so impressed that you have so much ambition. I am so proud of you for having a baby and running a marathon in the same year. Amazing, amazing, amazing. It makes me want to chant I think I can I think I can the next time I want to do something and think I can't.